I floored him. Knocked him down on the floor; hence, to
overcome, beat or surpass. Thus, we say at the university, “I floored
that paper,” i.e. answered every question on it. “I floored that
problem”—did it perfectly, or made myself master of it.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Floor from Fact Monster:
- OCEAN FLOOR - Just a century ago, the ocean floor was largely unknown. Now we know that the deep oceans have features such as mountains, deep valleys, and vast plai
- seafloor spreading - seafloor spreading seafloor spreading, theory of lithospheric evolution that holds that the ocean ...
- The Top Ten: World's Tallest Buildings - December 17 - 24 World's Tallest Buildings Rank Building, City Year Stories Feet 1. Taipei 101, ...
- Gymnastics - Gymnastics Men All-Around Points 1 Li Xiaoshuang, CHN 58.423 2 Alexei Nemov, RUS 58.374 3 Vitaly ...
- Gymnastics - Gymnastics MEN All-Around Points 1 Alexei Nemov, RUS 58.474 2 Yang Wei, CHN 58.361 3 Oleksandr ...