Flowers; all the vegetable productions of a country or of a
geological period, as the flora of England, the flora of the coal
period. Flora was the Roman goddess of flowers.
Another Flora there, of bolder hues,
And richer sweets beyond our garden's pride.
The animals of a period or country are called the Fauna; hence, the
phrase the Flora and the Fauna of ... signifies all its vegetable and
Metropolis of Flora.
Aranjuez, in Spain, is so called, from its many beautiful gardens.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Flora from Fact Monster:
- Flora - Flora Flora, in Roman religion, goddess of flowers and fertility. Her festival, the Floralia, Apr. ...
- William and Flora Hewlett Foundation - William and Flora Hewlett Foundation William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, philanthropic ...
- the Arctic: Flora and Fauna - Flora and Fauna Vegetation in the Arctic, limited to regions having a tundra climate, flourishes ...
- George Bentham - Bentham, George Bentham, George , 1800–1884, one of the greatest of English systematic ...
- Coburg Peninsula - Coburg or Cobourg Peninsula Coburg or Cobourg Peninsula , c.50 mi (80 km) long and 25 mi (40 km) ...