Hap-hazard. In billiards it means playing for one thing and
getting another. Hence an advantage gained by luck more than by skill
or judgment. (German, glück, chance, our luck.)
“We seem to have discovered, as it were by a fluke, a most excellent
rule for all future Cabinet arrangements.” —The Times.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Fluke from Fact Monster:
- fluke - fluke fluke, parasitic flatworm of the trematoda class, related to the tapeworm. Instead of the ...
- liver fluke - liver fluke: liver fluke: see fluke.
- Platyhelminthes: Class Trematoda - Class Trematoda The parasitic flatworms of class Trematoda, also called flukes, have oral suckers, ...
- LIFE CYCLES - The life cycle of an animal consists of all the stages from the start of one generation to the beginning of the next. For many insects, it takes only
- anchor - anchor anchor, device cast overboard to secure a ship, boat, or other floating object by means of ...