The Magic Flute, an opera by Mozart (Die Zauberflöte). The
“flute” was bestowed by the powers of darkness, and had the power of
inspiring love. Unless purified the love was only lust, but, being
purified by the Powers of Light, it subserved the holiest purposes.
Tamino and Pamina are guided by it through all worldly dangers to the
knowledge of Divine Truth.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Flute from Fact Monster:
- flute - flute flute, in music, generic term for such wind instruments as the fife, the flageolet, the ...
- The Magic Flute (TrollflÃ¶jten) - Starring Britt-Marie Aruhn, Jerker Arvidson, Gosta Backelin, Ingmar Bergman, Ulrik Cold
- Johann Joachim Quantz - Quantz, Johann Joachim Quantz, Johann Joachim , 1697–1773, German flutist and composer for ...
- piccolo - piccolo piccolo, small transverse flute pitched an octave higher than the standard flute. Its tone ...
- fife, in music - fife fife, small transverse flute with six to eight finger holes adopted for military music by ...