at college, is a man not salted. It was anciently a custom in
the different colleges to play practical jokes on the new-comers. One
of the most common was to assemble them in a room and make them deliver
a speech. Those who acquitted themselves well had a cup of caudle;
those who passed muster had a caudle with salt water; the rest had the
salt water only. Without scanning so deeply, “fresh-man” may simply
mean a fresh or new student. (See Bejan.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Freshman from Fact Monster:
- The Freshman - Starring Marlon Brando, Matthew Broderick
- Paul Kariya - Paul Kariya Born: Oct. 16, 1974 Hockey LW first-ever selection of Anaheim (4th overall in 1993); ...
- Herschel Walker - Herschel Walker Born: Mar. 3, 1962 Football RB led Georgia to national title as freshman in 1980; ...
- NBA Draft 1998 - NBA Draft Preview by Kevin Foley The word of the day in Vancouver on Wednesday will be trades. The ...
- Penelope Ann Miller - Penelope Ann Miller actress Born: 1/13/1964 Birthplace: Los Angeles Miller's performance in ...