Children (a word of contempt). Get away, you young fry.
It means properly a crowd of young fishes, and its application to
children should be limited to those that obstruct your path, crowd
about you, or stand in your way. (French, frai, spawn.)
Nothing to fry with
(French). Nothing to eat; nothing to live on. (See
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Fry from Fact Monster:
- Stephen Fry - Stephen Fry actor, writer Born: 8/24/1957 Birthplace: London, England Fry first came to the ...
- Elias Magnus Fries - Fries, Elias Magnus Fries, Elias Magnus , 1794–1878, Swedish botanist. He taught ...
- Sir Edward Fry - Fry, Sir Edward Fry, Sir Edward, 1827–1918, English lawyer. In 1877 he was made a judge of ...
- Alfred Hermann Fried - Fried, Alfred Hermann Fried, Alfred Hermann , 1864–1921, Austrian pacifist. He moved to ...
- Roger Eliot Fry - Fry, Roger Eliot Fry, Roger Eliot, 1866–1934, English art critic and painter. A champion of ...