In a fume. In ill-temper, especially from impatience. The
French say, “Fumer sans tabac; Fumer sans pipe ” (to put oneself
into a rage). Smoking with rage, or rather with the ineffectual vapour
A! Rignot, il est courageulx
Pour un homme avantureulx
Et terrible quant il se fume.
L'Aventureulx (a farce).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Fume from Fact Monster:
- nitric acid - nitric acid nitric acid, chemical compound, HNO3, colorless, highly corrosive, poisonous liquid ...
- Garrett Augustus Morgan - Garrett Augustus Morgan inventor Born: 1877 Birthplace: Kentucky Born in Kentucky, Morgan invented ...
- lead poisoning - lead poisoning lead poisoning or plumbism, intoxication of the system by organic compounds ...
- motion sickness - motion sickness motion sickness, waves of nausea and vomiting experienced by some people, resulting ...
- first aid: Asphyxia and Obstruction of Air Passages - Asphyxia and Obstruction of Air Passages Symptoms: Blue discoloration of face, tongue, and lips; ...