The sinking fund is money set aside by the Government for
paying off a part of the national debt. This money is “sunk,” or
withdrawn from circulation, for the bonds purchased by it are
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Fund from Fact Monster:
- Mutual Fund Calculators - mutual fund calculators
- sinking fund - sinking fund sinking fund, sum set apart periodically from the income of a government or a business ...
- fund-raising - fund-raising fund-raising, large-scale soliciting of voluntary contributions, especially in the ...
- World Wildlife Fund - World Wildlife Fund World Wildlife Fund (WWF), international organization formed to raise money for ...
- mutual fund - mutual fund mutual fund, in finance, investment company or trust that has a very fluid capital ...