or Public Funds. Money lent at interest to Government on
Government security. It means the national stock, which is the foundation of its operations.
A fall in the funds
is when the quotation is lower than when it was last quoted. A
rise in the funds is when the quotation is higher than it was
To be interested in the funds
is to have money in the public funds. To be out of funds,
out of money.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Funds from Fact Monster:
- Mutual Fund Calculators - mutual fund calculators
- sinking fund - sinking fund sinking fund, sum set apart periodically from the income of a government or a business ...
- fund-raising - fund-raising fund-raising, large-scale soliciting of voluntary contributions, especially in the ...
- World Wildlife Fund - World Wildlife Fund World Wildlife Fund (WWF), international organization formed to raise money for ...
- mutual fund - mutual fund mutual fund, in finance, investment company or trust that has a very fluid capital ...