(2 syl.) is that which will not hold together; inconsistent.
A futile scheme is a design conceived in the mind which will not
hold good in practice. (Latin, futio, to run off like water,
whence futilis (See Scheme.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Futile from Fact Monster:
- Polyphemus - Polyphemus Polyphemus , in Greek mythology, a Cyclops. He was a shepherd and the son of Poseidon. ...
- Sun Tzu - Biography of the great Chinese military strategist
- Caupolicán - Caupolicán Caupolicán , d. 1558, leader of the Araucanian who fiercely resisted the ...
- Jujuy - Jujuy Jujuy , city (1991 pop. 182,663), capital of Jujuy prov., NW Argentina, on the Bermejo River. ...
- anomie - anomie anomie, a social condition characterized by instability, the breakdown of social norms, ...