(g hard). What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the
gander. Both must be treated exactly alike. Applesauce is just as
good for one as the other. (Anglo-Saxon gós, related to gons
and gans. The d and r of gan-a are merely
euphonic; the a being the masculine suffix. Thus han-a
was the masculine of hen. Latin, anser.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gander from Fact Monster:
- Gander - Gander Gander, town (1991 pop. 10,339), NE Newfoundland, N.L., Canada. Gander's airport, an ...
- Animal Names: Male, Female, and Young - Animal Names: Male, Female, and Young Animal Male Female Young Ass Jack Jenny Foal Bear Boar Sow ...
- goose - goose goose, common name for large wild and domesticated swimming birds related to the duck and the ...
- Encyclopedia: Canadian Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Canadian Political Geography.
- Aircraft Crashes - Aircraft Crashes (See also Terrorist Attacks.) 1921 Aug. 24, England: British dirigible AR-2 broke ...