(The) is so named from gang, the earth. Often called
Gunga or Ganga.
“Those who, through the curse, have fallen from heaven, having
performed ablution in this stream, become free from sin; cleansed from
sin by this water, and restored to happiness, they shall enter heaven
and return again to the gods. After having performed ablution in this
living water, they become free from all iniquity.” —The Ramayuna (section xxxv.).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ganges from Fact Monster:
- gang - gang gang, group of people organized for a common purpose, often criminal. Gangs of criminals were ...
- Ganges - Ganges Ganges or Ganga, river, c.1,560 mi (2,510 km) long, rising in the Gangotri glacier in the ...
- chain gang - chain gang: chain gang: see convict labor.
- Gang of Four - Gang of Four Gang of Four, term of opprobrium given by the Chinese Communist authorities to four ...
- The Apple Dumpling Gang - Starring Tim Conway, Don Knotts, Harry Morgan, John McGiver, Bill Bixby