(g hard). Looking for gapeseed. Gaping about and
doing nothing, A corruption of “Looking a-gapesing;” gapesing
is staring about with one's mouth open. A-gapesing and a-trapesing
are still used in Norfolk.
Seeking a gape's nest.
(Devonshire.) A gape's nest
is a sight which people stare at
with wide-open mouth. The word “nest” was used in a much wider sense
formerly than it is now. Thus we read of a “nest of shelves,” a “nest
of thieves,” a “cosy nest.” A gape's nest is the nest or place where
anything stared at is to be found.
(See Mare's Nest.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gape from Fact Monster:
- Tyrannosaurus - Tyrannosaurus Tyrannosaurus [Gr.,=tyrant lizard], member of a family, Tyrannosauridae, of bipedal ...
- goatsucker - goatsucker goatsucker, common name for nocturnal or crepuscular birds of the order ...
- Deep Impact Attacks Comet Tempel 1 - Deep Impact Attacks Comet Tempel 1 For the past 138 years, since its discovery in 1867, Comet ...
- The Circus (1928) - Starring Al Ernest Garcia, Merna Kennedy, Harry Crocker, George Davis, Henry Bergman
- World Trade Center History - A guide to the World Trade Center