(g hard). The chief deity of Burmah, whose favourite
offering is a paper umbrella.
The four sublime verities of Gautama
are as follows:
(1) Pain exists.
(2) The cause of pain is “birth sin.” The Buddhist supposes that man
has passed through many previous existences, and all the heaped-up
sins accumulated in these previous states constitute man's “birth sin.”
(3) Pain is ended only by Nirvana.
(4) The way that leads to Nirvana is—right faith, right judgment,
right language, right purpose, right practice, right obedience, right
memory, and right meditation (eight in all).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gautama from Fact Monster:
- Gautama - Gautama: Gautama: see Buddha.
- Buddha - Buddha Buddha [Skt.,=the enlightened One], usual title given to the founder of Buddhism. He is also ...
- Buddhism - Buddhism Buddhism was founded in the fourth or fifth century B.C. in northern India by a man known ...
- Buddha - Biography of Buddha, The founder of Buddhism
- bo tree - bo tree bo tree or pipal, fig tree (Ficus religiosa) of India held sacred by the Buddhists, who ...