(Hebrew, g hard). The place of eternal torment. Strictly
speaking, it means simply the Valley of Hinnom (Ge-Hinnom),
where sacrifices to Moloch were offered and where refuso of all sorts
was subsequently cast, for the consumption of which fires were kept
And made his grove
The pleasant valley of Hinnom, Tophet thence
And black Gehenna called, the type of hell.
Milton: Paradise Lost, book i.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gehenna from Fact Monster:
- hell - hell hell, in Western monotheistic religions, eternal abode of souls damned by the judgment of God. ...
- Gehenna - Gehenna Gehenna : see hell.
- Hinnom - Hinnom Hinnom , valley, W and S of Jerusalem. Its ill repute in the Bible emanated from the worship ...
- Leonard Baskin - Baskin, Leonard Baskin, Leonard, 1922–2000, American sculptor, graphic artist, and teacher, ...
- Encyclopedia: New Testament - Encyclopeadia articles concerning New Testament.