was nicknamed “The First Gentleman of Europe,” “Fum the
Fourth,” “Prince Florizel,” “The Adonis of fifty,” and “The Fat Adonis
of fifty.” (See each of these nicknames.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on George IV from Fact Monster:
- George IV, king of Great Britain and Ireland - George IV George IV, 1762–1830, king of Great Britain and Ireland (1820–30), eldest son ...
- August 12 Birthdays: George IV - August 12 birthdays: George IV, George Hamilton, Erwin Schrödinger, Jacinto Benavente, Mary Roberts Rinehart, Cecil B. De Mille , Katharine Lee Bates, Cantinflas, Pete Sampras, Christy Mathewson
- Marie Antoine Carême - Carême, Marie Antoine Carême, Marie Antoine , 1784–1833, celebrated French cook ...
- Sir Francis Legatt Chantrey - Chantrey, Sir Francis Legatt Chantrey, Sir Francis Legatt , 1781–1841, English sculptor, ...
- Sir William Gell - Gell, Sir William Gell, Sir William , 1777–1836, English archaeologist. He served as ...