(g hard), or rather Waiblingen. The war-cry of Conrad's
followers in the battle of Weinsberg (1140). Conrad, Duke of Suabia,
was opposed to Henry the Lion, Duke of Saxony, whose slogan was Guelph
or Welfe, his family name.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ghibelline from Fact Monster:
- Guelphs and Ghibellines - Guelphs and Ghibellines Guelphs and Ghibellines , opposing political factions in Germany and in ...
- Hohenstaufen - Hohenstaufen Hohenstaufen , German princely family, whose name is derived from the castle of ...
- Ghibellines - Ghibellines: Ghibellines: see Guelphs and Ghibellines; Hohenstaufen.
- Castruccio Castracani - Castracani, Castruccio Castracani, Castruccio , 1281–1328, duke of Lucca. His early life was ...
- Can Francesco della Scala - Scala, Can Francesco della Scala, Can Francesco della or Can Grande della Scala, 1291–1329, ...