Cautiously, with faltering steps. The Scotch phrase, “gang that
gate,” and the Anglo-Saxon gangende (going), applied to an army
looking out for ambuscades, would furnish the adverb gangendelic;
Swedish, gingla, to go gently.
“Gingerly, as if treading upon eggs. Cuddie began to ascend the
well-known pass.” —Scott: Old Mortality, chap. xxv.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gingerly from Fact Monster:
- ginger - ginger ginger, common name for members of the Zingiberaceae, a family of tropical and subtropical ...
- Ginger Rogers - Ginger Rogers (Virginia McMath) actress, dancer Born: 7/16/1911 Birthplace: Independence, Missouri ...
- Ginger Ehn Lew - Ginger Ehn Lew government official Birthplace: San Francisco, Calif. area Lew received a B.A. in ...
- July 16 Birthdays: Ginger Rogers - July 16 birthdays: Ginger Rogers,
- turmeric - turmeric: turmeric: see ginger.