Don't fret your gizzard. Don't be so anxious; don't worry
yourself. The Latin stomachus means temper, etc., as well as
stomach or “gizzard.” (French, gésier.)
That stuck in his gizzard.
Annoyed him, was more than he could digest.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gizzard from Fact Monster:
- Fowl FAQ - Facts about turkeys parts
- Thanksgiving - Holiday history, turkey trivia, and Thanksgiving fun
- shad - shad shad, fish, Alosa sapidissima, of the family Clupeidae (herring family), found along the ...
- hoatzin - hoatzin hoatzin [Aztec], common name for a peculiar marsh bird, Opisthocomus hoatzin. The hoatzin ...
- insect - insect insect, invertebrate animal of the class Insecta of the phylum Arthropoda. Like other ...