Meaning speech or the tongue, so called by the Psalmist because
speech is man's speciality. Other animals see, hear, smell, and feel
quite as well and often better than man, but rational speech is man's
glory, or that which distinguishes the race from other animals.
“I will sing and give praise even with my glory.”—Psalm cviii. 1.
“That my glory may sing praise to Thee, and not be silent.”—Psalm
“Awake up my glory, awake psaltery and harp.”—Psalm lvii. 8.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Glory from Fact Monster:
- morning glory - morning glory morning glory, common name for members of the Convolvulaceae, a family of herbs, ...
- glory lily - glory lily: glory lily: see lily.
- Dust to Glory - Starring Mario Andretti, Sal Fish, James Garner, Ricky Johnson, Chad McQueen
- The Work and the Glory - Starring Sam Hennings, Alexander Carroll, Eric Johnson, Tiffany Dupont, Brenda Strong
- Bound for Glory - Starring David Carradine, Melinda Dillon, Randy Quaid, Gail Strickland, John Lehne