A curtailed oath. “Go to the devil!” or some such phrase.
Cassius: I [am] able than yourself
To make conditions.
Brutus: Go to! You are not, Cassius.'
Shakespeare: Julius Cæsar, iv.
GO TO BANFF, and bottle skate.
GO TO BATH, and get your head shaved.
GO TO BUNGAY, and get your breeches mended.
GO TO COVENTRY. Make
GO TO HEXHAM. A kind of Alsatia or sanctuary in the reign of Henry
GO TO JERICHO. Out of the way. (See Jericho.)
And many other similar phrases.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Go to from Fact Monster:
- go - go go or i-go,a board game popular in Japan that probably originated in China or India as long ago ...
- Why do men go bald? - Why do men go bald? Men can lose their hair at any time in their lives, not only when they grow ...
- i-go - i-go: i-go: see go.
- Chase Going WOODHOUSE - WOODHOUSE, Chase Going (1890—1984) WOODHOUSE, Chase Going, a Representative from Connecticut; ...
- All Dogs Go to Heaven - Starring Dom DeLuise, Burt Reynolds, Daryl Gilley