Usually placed under seats in church stalls, etc., as a mark of
dishonour and abhorrence, especially to ecclesiastics who are bound by
the law of continence.
The seven little goats.
So the Pleiades are vulgarly called in Spain.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Goat from Fact Monster:
- goat - goat goat, ruminant mammal with hollow horns and coarse hair belonging to the genus Capra of the ...
- Capricornus - Capricornus Capricornus [Lat.,=the goat horn], inconspicuous southern constellation lying on the ...
- Rocky Mountain goat - Rocky Mountain goat Rocky Mountain goat, hoofed ruminant mammal, Oreamnos americanus, found in the ...
- constellation, in astronomy - constellation constellation, in common usage, group of stars that appear to form a configuration in ...
- Toggenburg goat - Toggenburg goat: Toggenburg goat: see goat.