An order of knighthood by this title was instituted by Philip
III., Duke of Burgundy, in 1429. The selection of the fleece as a badge
is perhaps best explained by the fact that the manufacture of wool had
long been the staple industry of the Low Countries, then a part of the
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Golden Fleece from Fact Monster:
- Golden Fleece - Golden Fleece Golden Fleece, in Greek mythology, the magic fleece of the winged ram that saved ...
- Phrixus - Phrixus Phrixus : see Golden Fleece.
- Helle - Helle: Helle: see Golden Fleece.
- Argonauts - Argonauts: Argonauts: see Jason; Argo; Golden Fleece.
- Argo - Argo Argo , in Greek mythology, ship in which Jason and the Argonauts sailed in quest of the Golden ...