Pigeon French, or French as it is spoken by the coloured
population of Louisiana, the French West Indies, Bourbon, and
Mauritius. (Connected with jumbo.)
“Creole is almost pure French, not much more mispronounced than in
some parts of France; but Gombo is a mere phonetic burlesque of French,
interlarded with African words, and other words which are neither
African nor French, but probably belong to the aboriginal language of
the various countries to which the slaves were brought from Africa.”
—The Nineteenth Century. October, 1891, p. 576.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gombo from Fact Monster:
- Julius Gombos - Gombos, Julius Gombos, Julius , Hung. Gömbös Gyula, 1886–1936, Hungarian premier ...
- Joseph Kabila - Kabila, Joseph Kabila, Joseph , 1971–, Congolese political leader, eldest son of Laurent ...
- Count Julius Károlyi - Károlyi, Count Julius Károlyi, Count Julius , 1871–1946?, Hungarian politician; ...
- Encyclopedia: Austria and Hungary, History: Biographies - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Austria and Hungary, History: Biographies.
- Hungary: History - History Growth of a State The Roman provinces of Pannonia and Dacia, conquered under Tiberius and ...