Dice with a secret cavity. Those loaded with lead were called
Gourds and fullam holds,
And high and low beguile the rich and poor.
Shakespeare: Merry Wives of Windsor, i. 3.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gourds from Fact Monster:
- gourd - gourd gourd , common name for some members of the Cucurbitaceae, a family of plants whose range ...
- bryony - bryony: bryony: see gourd.
- cantaloupe - cantaloupe: cantaloupe: see gourd; melon.
- squash - squash: squash: see gourd; pumpkin.
- vegetable marrow - vegetable marrow: vegetable marrow: see gourd; pumpkin.