includes the church within the Ottoman Empire subject to the
patriarch of Constantinople, the church in the kingdom of Greece, and
the Russo-Greek Church. The Roman and Greek Churches formally
separated in 1054. The Greek Church dissents from the doctrine that the
Holy Ghost proceeds from the Father and the Son (Filioque),
rejects the Papal claim to supremacy, and administers the eucharist in
both kinds to the laity; but the two churches agree in their belief of
seven sacraments, transubstantiation, the adoration of the Host,
confession, absolution, penance, prayers for the dead, etc.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Greek Church from Fact Monster:
- Greek Church - Greek Church: Greek Church: see Orthodox Eastern Church.
- Kirklareli - Kirklareli Kirklareli , city (1990 pop. 43,017), capital of Kirklareli prov., NW Turkey. It is a ...
- George of Trebizond - George of Trebizond George of Trebizond , c.1396–1486, Greek scholar, b. Crete. Settling in ...
- Septuagint - Septuagint Septuagint [Lat.,=70], oldest extant Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible made by ...
- Jacques Ignace Hittorff - Hittorff, Jacques Ignace Hittorff, Jacques Ignace , 1792–1867, French architect. He became a ...