improperly Guerilla wars, means a petty war, a partisan
conflict; and the parties are called Guerillas or Guerilla chiefs.
Spanish, guerra, war. The word is applied to the armed bands of
peasants who carry on irregular war on their own account, especially at
such time as their Government is contending with invading armies.
“The town was wholly without defenders, and the guerillas murdered
people and destroyed property without hindrance.” —Lessing; United
States, chap. xviii. p. 676.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Guerilla from Fact Monster:
- Kim Il-sung - Biography of Kim Il-sung, Longtime "Great Leader" of North Korea
- Nguyen Van Linh - Linh, Nguyen Van Linh, Nguyen Van , 1915–98, Vietnamese political leader, b. near Hanoi as ...
- Dagestan: Crisis in the Caucasus - Crisis in the Caucasus History of the conflict in Dagestan by Sarah K. Miller This article was ...
- Yasser Arafat - Biography of Yasser Arafat, Head of the Palestinian Liberation Organization, 1969-2004
- Osama bin Laden - Biography of Osama bin Laden, Mastermind of the 11 September 2001 attacks