(1 syl.). He frets like gummed velvet or gummed
taffety. Velvet and taffeta were sometimes stiffened with gum to
make them “sit better,” but, being very stiff, they fretted out
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gummed from Fact Monster:
- chewing gum - chewing gum chewing gum, confection consisting usually of chicle, flavorings, and corn syrup and ...
- teeth - teeth teeth, hard, calcified structures embedded in the bone of the jaws of vertebrates that ...
- gum tree - gum tree gum tree, name for the eucalyptus (see myrtle) in Australia and for several other trees, ...
- black gum - black gum black gum, ornamental deciduous tree (Nyssa sylvatica family Nyssaceae) native to E North ...
- sour gum - sour gum: sour gum: see black gum.