The project of a few Roman Catholics to destroy James I. with
the Lords and Commons assembled in the Houses of Parliament, on the 5th
of November, 1605. It was to be done by means of gunpowder when the
king went in person to open Parliament. Robert Catesby originated the
plot, and Guy Fawkes undertook to fire the gunpowder. (See
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gunpowder Plot from Fact Monster:
- Gunpowder Plot - Gunpowder Plot Gunpowder Plot, conspiracy to blow up the English Parliament and King James I on ...
- Guy Fawkes - Fawkes, Guy: Fawkes, Guy: see Gunpowder Plot.
- Guy Fawkes Day - Guy Fawkes Day The anniversary of the famous Gunpowder Plot Remember remember the fifth of November ...
- Henry Garnett - Garnett or Garnet, Henry Garnett or Garnet, Henry , 1555?–1606, English Jesuit. He was ...
- This Day in History: January 31 - January 31 1606 Guy Fawkes, a co-conspirator in the Gunpowder Plot, was executed. 1865 Robert E. ...