is the Hebrew halelu-Jah, “Praise ye Jehovah.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hallelujah from Fact Monster:
- Hallelujah - Hallelujah Hallelujah or Alleluia[Heb.,=praise the Lord], joyful expression used in Hebrew worship; ...
- Alleluia - Alleluia Alleluia, Latin form of the expression Hallelujah.
- Leonard Cohen - Biography of Leonard Cohen, The writer of the haunting song "Hallelujah"
- Kenneth Patchen - Patchen, Kenneth Patchen, Kenneth, 1911–72, American poet and novelist, b. Niles, Ohio. His ...
- camp meeting - camp meeting camp meeting, outdoor religious meeting, usually held in the summer and lasting for ...