A Bridport dagger (q.v.). St. Johnstone's tippet.
or rather Halster. A rope for the neck or halse, as a
horse's halter. (Anglo-Saxon, hals, the neck; but there is also
the word hælfter, a halter.)
A thievisher knave is not on live, more filching, no more false;
Many a truer man than he has hanged up by the halse [neck].
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Halter from Fact Monster:
- Fashion Timeline - Fashion timeline from the first haute couture house in 1858 to the present.
- Rudi (Rudolph) Gernreich - Gernreich, Rudi (Rudolph) Gernreich, Rudi (Rudolph) , 1922–85, American fashion designer, b. ...
- Madeleine Vionnet - Vionnet, Madeleine Vionnet, Madeleine, 1876–1975, French fashion designer. She worked for ...
- Daisy Duke - Biography of Daisy Duke, Co-star of TV's The Dukes of Hazzard
- Elsa Schiaparelli - Schiaparelli, Elsa Schiaparelli, Elsa , 1890–1973, French fashion designer, b. Rome. She ...