(A). Properly the fringed loop or strap hung to the girdle by
which the dagger was suspended, but applied by a common figure of
speech to the sword or dagger itself.
“Men's swords in hangers hang fast by their side.” —J.Taylor
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hanger from Fact Monster:
- macramé - macramé macramé , a technique of decorative knotting employing simple basic knots to ...
- Kato Kaelin - Biography of Kato Kaelin, The houseguest who testified at the O.J. Simpson murder trial
- Joan Crawford - Biography of Joan Crawford, Star of Mildred Pierce and subject of the book Mommie Dearest
- Chanel Iman - Biography of Chanel Iman, The Victoria's Secret model with the part-Korean heritage
- Mommie Dearest - Starring Faye Dunaway, Diana Scarwid, Steve Forrest, Howard Da Silva, Mara Hobel