To die in harness. To continue in one's work or occupation till
death. The allusion is to soldiers in armour or harness.
“At least we'll die with harness on our back.”
Shakespeare: Macheth, v. 5.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Harness from Fact Monster:
- harness - harness harness, comprehensive term for the gear of a draft animal, excluding the yoke, by which it ...
- Har Gobind Khorana - Har Gobind Khorana biochemist Born: 1/9/1922 Birthplace: Raipur, India (now Pakistan) Har Gobind ...
- harness racing - harness racing: harness racing: see horse racing.
- Har-heres - Har-heres: Har-heres: see Heres.
- Har Gobind Khorana - Khorana, Har Gobind Khorana, Har Gobind, 1922–, American biochemist, b. Raipur (now in ...