In Christian art, the emblem of solitude and purity of life. It
was the attribute of St. Hubert, St. Julian, and St. Eustace. It was
also the type of piety and religious aspiration. (Psalm xlii. 1.) (See Hind.)
The White Hart,
or hind, with a golden chain, in public-house signs, is the badge
of Richard II., which was worn by all his courtiers and adherents. It
was adopted from his mother, whose cognisance was a white hind.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hart from Fact Monster:
- John Hart - Hart, John Hart, John, 1711?–1779, political leader in the American Revolution, signer of the ...
- Moss Hart - Hart, Moss Hart, Moss, 1904–61, American dramatist, b. New York City, studied at Columbia. ...
- Leon Hart - Leon Hart Born: Nov. 2, 1928 Football E only player to win 3 national championships in college and ...
- Melissa Joan Hart - Melissa Joan Hart actress Born: 4/18/1976 Birthplace: Sayville, New York As with most overnight ...
- Lorenz Milton Hart - Hart, Lorenz Milton Hart, Lorenz Milton, 1895–1943, American lyricist, b. New York City, ...