A keeper of the cattle or common herd of a village or parish.
The word hay means “hedge,” and this herdsman was so called
because he had “ward” of the “hedges” also. (Anglo-Saxon, heg,
hay; hege, a hedge.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hayward from Fact Monster:
- Hayward - Hayward Hayward, city (1990 pop. 111,498), Alameda co., W Calif.; settled 1851, inc. 1876. It is an ...
- Tony Hayward - Biography of Tony Hayward, The head of BP during the great Gulf of Mexico oil spill of 2010
- Theresa Hayward Bell - Theresa Hayward Bell American Indian activist Born: 1952 Birthplace: Camp Lejeune, N.C. The ...
- Hayward, California, Housing Statistics - California Atlas Housing Statistics Hayward, California QuickFacts · Demographic · ...
- Hayward, California, Social Statistics - California Atlas Social Statistics Hayward, California QuickFacts · Demographic · ...