in the satire of Absalom and Achitophel, in the first
part stands for Holland, but in the second part for Scotland. Hebronite
(3 syl.), a native of Holland or Scotland.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hebron from Fact Monster:
- Hebron - Hebron Hebron, city (2003 est. pop. 155,000), the West Bank, called Al-Khalil in modern Arabic. ...
- Hoham - Hoham Hoham , in the Bible, king of Hebron, whom Joshua defeated.
- Mamre - Mamre Mamre , in the Bible, ally of Abraham and owner of part of Hebron.
- Nezib - Nezib Nezib , in the Bible, city, SW ancient Palestine, NW of Hebron.
- Halhul - Halhul Halhul , in the Bible, town, S ancient Palestine, N of Hebron.