the City of the Sun, a Greek form of (1) Baalbek, in Syria; and
(2) of On, in ancient Egypt, noted for its temple of Actis, called Beth
Shemesh or Temple of the Sun, in Jer. xliii. 13.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Heliopolis from Fact Monster:
- Heliopolis, ancient city, Egypt - Heliopolis Heliopolis [Gr.,=city of the sun], ancient city, N Egypt, in the Nile delta, 6 mi (10 ...
- Heliopolis, ancient city, Syria - Heliopolis Heliopolis, Syria: see Baalbek.
- On - On On , in the Bible. 1. Reubenite conspirator in Korah's revolt. 2. The Egyptian Heliopolis.
- Aven - Aven Aven , in the Bible, abusive name applied to towns: to Bethel (see Beth-aven); to Heliopolis ...
- Beth-shemesh - Beth-shemesh Beth-shemesh , in the Bible. 1. The Egyptian Heliopolis. 2. Town of ancient Palestine, ...