Hen and Chickens
(in Christian art), emblematical of God's providence. (See
St. Matthew xxiii. 37.)
A whistling maid and crowing hen is neither fit for God nor men.
A whistling maid means a witch, who whistles like the Lapland
witches to call up the winds; they were supposed to be in league with
the devil. The crowing of a hen was supposed to forbode a death. The
usual interpretation is that masculine qualities in females are
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hen and Chickens from Fact Monster:
- stonecrop - stonecrop stonecrop, common name for members of the Crassulaceae (also called orpine, or ...
- Delaware, state, United States: Facts and Figures - Facts and Figures Area, 2,057 sq mi (5,328 sq km). Pop. (2000) 783,600, a 17.6% increase since the ...
- Delaware - Information on Delaware — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Delaware, state, United States: History - History Native Inhabitants and European Claims Long before Europeans explored the Delaware area, it ...
- State Symbols - State Symbols State Song Bird Tree Flower Alabama “Alabama” (1931) yellowhammer (1927) ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring