The Persian ladies tinge the tips of their fingers with henna
to make them a reddish-yellow.
“The leaf of the henna-plant resembles that of the myrtle. The
blossom has a powerful fragrance: it grows like a feather about 18
inches long, forming a cluster of small yellow flowers.” —Baker: Nile Tribes, Abyssinia, chap. i. p. 3.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Henna from Fact Monster:
- henna - henna henna, name for a reddish or black hair dye obtained from the powdered leaves and young ...
- loosestrife - loosestrife loosestrife, common name for the Lythraceae, a widely distributed family of plants most ...
- Bam - Bam Bam , town (1996 pop. 70,100), Kerman prov., SE Iran, on the intermittent Bam River. Located on ...
- PLANT PRODUCTS - As well as food and medicines, plants provide other useful products. Many plant cells form NATURAL FIBRES that strengthen and support the plant. The s
- Current Government Officials: Finland - World > Heads of State Info Finland Chiefs of State and Cabinet Members of Foreign Governments ...