Many herbs are used for curative purposes simply because of
their form or marks: thus, wood-sorrel, being shaped like a heart, is
used as a cordial; liver-wort for the liver; the
celandine, which has yellow juice, for the jaundice;
herb-dragon, which is speckled like a dragon, to counteract the poison
of serpents, etc.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Herb from Fact Monster:
- herb - herb herb , name for any plant that is used medicinally or as a spice and for the useful product of ...
- willow herb - willow herb willow herb, name for several plants, among them the fireweed (see evening primrose).
- herb Christopher - herb Christopher: herb Christopher: see baneberry.
- Wild Grass (Les herbes folles) - Starring Mathieu Amalric, Emmanuelle Devos, Anne Consigny, AndrÃ© Dussollier, Nicolas Duvauchelle
- baneberry - baneberry baneberry, any plant of the small genus Actaea, north temperate perennials of the family ...