Old Hickory. General Andrew Jackson. Parton says he was first
called “Tough,” from his pedestrian powers; then “Tough as hickory;”
and lastly, “Old Hickory.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hickory from Fact Monster:
- hickory, in botany - hickory hickory, any plant of the genus Carya of the family Juglandaceae (walnut family); deciduous ...
- pignut hickory - pignut hickory: pignut hickory: see hickory.
- mockernut hickory - mockernut hickory: mockernut hickory: see hickory.
- Hickory, city, United States - Hickory Hickory, city (1990 pop. 28,301), Burke and Catawba counties, W N.C., at the foot of the ...
- Hickory, North Carolina, Demographic Statistics - North Carolina Atlas Demographic Statistics Hickory, North Carolina QuickFacts · Demographic ...