The title in Spain of the lower nobility. (According to Bishop
St. Vincent, the word is compounded of hijo del Goto, son of a
Goth; but more probably it is hijo and dalgo. Hija =
child or son, and dalgo = respect, as in the phrase, “Facer
mucho dalgo,” to receive with great respect. In Portuguese it is Fidalgo.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hidalgo from Fact Monster:
- Hidalgo, state, Mexico - Hidalgo Hidalgo , state (1990 pop. 1,888,366), 8,058 sq mi (20,870 sq km), central Mexico. Pachuca ...
- Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla - Hidalgo y Costilla, Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, Miguel , 1753–1811, Mexican priest and ...
- Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo - Guadalupe Hidalgo, Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, Treaty of, 1848, peace treaty between the United ...
- Hidalgo, in astronomy - Hidalgo Hidalgo , in astronomy: see asteroid.
- Guadalupe Hidalgo - Guadalupe Hidalgo Guadalupe Hidalgo , shrine, central Mexico, in the Federal District. The basilica ...