(Meister). The Nestor of German romance. Like Maugis among the
heroes of Charlemagne, he was a magician as well as champion.
Pope Gregory VII. (1013, 1073-1085).
One resembling Pope Gregory VII., noted for subjugating the power
of the German emperors; and specially detested by the early reformers
for his ultra-pontifical views.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hildebrand from Fact Monster:
- Lay of Hildebrand - Hildebrand, Lay of Hildebrand, Lay of, fragment of an epic in mixed Low and Old High German ...
- Adolf von Hildebrand - Hildebrand, Adolf von Hildebrand, Adolf von , 1847–1921, German sculptor and author. He ...
- Hildebrand - Hildebrand: Hildebrand: see Gregory VII, Saint.
- Saint Gregory VII - Gregory VII, Saint Gregory VII, Saint, d. 1085, pope (1073–85), an Italian (b. near Rome) ...
- Nicolaas Beets - Beets, Nicolaas Beets, Nicolaas , 1814–1903, Dutch author. He translated Byron into Dutch and ...