(4 syl.). A Grecian prince, who ran a race with Atalanta
for her hand in marriage. He had three golden apples, which he dropped
one by one, and which the lady stopped to pick up. By this delay she
lost the race.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hippomenes from Fact Monster:
- Atalanta - Atalanta Atalanta , in Greek mythology, huntress famous for her speed and skill. She took part in ...
- Hippomenes - Hippomenes Hippomenes : see Atalanta.
- Guido Reni - Reni, Guido Reni, Guido , 1575–1642, Italian painter and engraver, b. Bologna. As a child he ...
- Encyclopedia: Folklore and Mythology - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Folklore and Mythology.
- Greek and Roman Mythology - Greek and Roman Mythology Most of the Greek deities were adopted by the Romans, although in many ...