Instituted by the Rev. John Hulse, of Cheshire, in 1777. Every year some four or six sermons are preached at Great St. Mary's, Cambridge, by what is now called the Hulsean Lecturer, who, till 1860, was entitled the Christian Advocate. Originally twenty sermons a year were preached and afterwards printed under this benefaction.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894