or Humanity Studies. Grammar, rhetoric, and poetry, with
Greek and Latin (literæ humaniores); in contradistinction to
divinity (literæ divinæ).
“The humanities ... is used to designate those studies which are
considered the most specially adapted for training ... true humanity in
every man.” —Trench: On the Study of Words, Lecture iii. p.
Humber Chief of the Huns, defeated by Locrin, King of England, and
drowned in the river Abus, ever since called the Humber. (Geoffrey of Monmouth: Chronicles.)
Their chieftain Humber named was aright
Unto the mighty streame him to betake,
Where he an end of battall and of life did make.
Spenser: Faërie Queene ii. 10.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Humanities from Fact Monster:
- Australopitchecus Garhi: New Human Species Discovered - After There was 'Lucy' New 2.5 million-year-old ancestor found in Ethiopia by Otto Johnson ...
- human evolution - human evolution human evolution, theory of the origins of the human species, Homo sapiens. Modern ...
- anthropology - anthropology anthropology, classification and analysis of humans and their society, descriptively, ...
- Swine Flu in Humans FAQs - Find information about swine flu virus in humans and how swine influenza spreads.
- Human Evolution - Human Evolution —By Karen Barss The story of human evolution began in Africa about six ...