Properly, the father of the Sun and Moon, but by poets made a
surname of the Sun. Shakespeare makes it a synonym of Apollo. The
proper pronunciation is Hyperion. Thus Ovid—
“Placat equo Persis radiis Hyperione cinctum.”
Fasti, i. 385.
So excellent a king, that was to this
Hyperion to a satyr.
Shakespeare: Hamlet, i. 9.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hyperion from Fact Monster:
- Hyperion, in Greek religion and mythology - Hyperion Hyperion, in Greek religion and mythology, a Titan. He was the husband of his sister Theia ...
- Hyperion, in astronomy - Hyperion Hyperion , in astronomy, one of the named moons, or natural satellites, of Saturn. Also ...
- Fall of Hyperion - Starring Thomas Calabro, Jake Thomas, William Gregory Lee, Cynthia Gibb
- Theia - Theia Theia : see Hyperion and Titan.
- Selene - Selene Selene , in Greek mythology and mythology, moon goddess; daughter of the Titans Hyperion and ...