(1 syl.). To break the ice. To broach a disagreeable
subject; to open the way. In allusion to breaking ice for bathers.
(Latin, scindero glaciem; Italian, romper il giaccio.)
[We] An' If you break the ice, and do this feat ...
Will not so graceless be, to be ingrate.
Shakespeare: Taming of the Shrew, i. 2.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ice from Fact Monster:
- Ice-T - Ice-T (Tracy Marrow) rap musician, actor Born: 2/16/1958 Birthplace: Newark, New Jersey Ice-T's ...
- water - water water, odorless, tasteless, transparent liquid that is colorless in small amounts but ...
- Volcanic Eruption Under Ice - Volcanic eruption under ice in the Hudson Mountains, West Antarctica.
- KidVideos: How to Make Your Own Ice Cream in 5 Minutes - KidVid Videos about How to Make Your Own Ice Cream in 5 Minutes by Backyard Beach.
- ice cream - ice cream ice cream, sweet frozen dessert, made from milk fat and solids, sugar, flavoring, a ...