found er of the order of Jesuits, is depicted in art sometimes
with the sacred monogram
I.H.S. on his breast, and sometimes contemplating it, surrounded by
glory in the skies, in allusion to his boast that his had a miraculous
knowledge of the mystery of the Trinity vouchsafed to him. He is so
represented in Rubens' famous picture in Warwick Castle.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ignatius Loyola from Fact Monster:
- Ignatius of Loyola - Loyola, Ignatius of: Loyola, Ignatius of: see Ignatius of Loyola, Saint.
- Saint Ignatius of Loyola - Ignatius of Loyola, Saint Ignatius of Loyola, Saint , 1491–1556, Spanish churchman, founder ...
- Saint Ignatius of Loyola: Bibliography - Bibliography See Letters of St. Ignatius Loyola (tr. 1959) and his quasi-autobiography, The ...
- Saint Ignatius of Loyola: Early Life and Ordination - Early Life and Ordination Ignatius was of noble birth and was reared in the household of a ...
- Saint Ignatius of Loyola: Founding of the Jesuit Order - Founding of the Jesuit Order In 1539, Ignatius drew up a Formula for a new order and secured (1540) ...