The baptised were at one time so called, because a lighted
candle was given them to hold as a symbol that they were illuminated by
the Holy Ghost.
Four religious societies
have been so called, viz.:
(1) The Hesychasts in the fourteenth
(2) The Alombrados of Spain in the sixteenth century.
Guerinets of France in the seventeenth century.
(4) The Mystics of
Belgium in the eighteenth century.
Add to these the Rosicrucians (q.v.).
The Order of the Illuminati.
A republican society, founded at Ingoldstadt in Bavaria, 1776;
having for its object the establishment of a religion consistent with
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Illuminati from Fact Monster:
- Illuminati - Illuminati Illuminati [Lat.,=enlightened], rationalistic society founded in Germany soon after 1776 ...
- Robert Langdon - Biography of Robert Langdon, The scholarly detective of The DaVinci Code
- secret society - secret society secret society, organization of initiated persons whose members, purposes, and ...
- Rosicrucians - Rosicrucians Rosicrucians , members of an esoteric society or group of societies, who claim that ...
- Encyclopedia: Protestant Denominations - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Protestant Denominations.